To obtain a disabled person's license plate or placard (which hangs from the rear-view mirror), you must submit one of the following:

  • MV9-D (Disabled Person's Parking Affidavit) which must be completed by a Georgia-licensed healthcare practitioner and be notarized. 


  • A signed and dated statement by a doctor on prescription paper may be submitted including the disabled person's named and whether the disability is permanent or temporary. The paper must include the doctor's printed name, address, phone number and the doctor's license number.

Bring the original completed MV9-D or the original doctor's statement with your Georgia driver's license (DL) or Georgia ID card with a current Gwinnett address to a Gwinnett County tag office (the Lawrenceville and Snellville tag offices have drive-thrus available for your convenience). If the DL or ID does not have a Gwinnett address, proof of residency in Gwinnett is required.

Note: The licensed healthcare practitioner or doctor must designate whether the disability is temporary or permanent.

Disabled Person's License Plate

 A disabled person's license plate costs $20 plus any other fees and penalties which may apply, including ad valorem tax or title tax, if applicable.  

If the vehicle currently has a valid Georgia license plate and a disabled person's license plate is being requested, the Georgia license plate must be returned to the tag office. If it isn't, a disabled person's license plate cannot be issued. 

Disabled Person's Placards

Temporary placards are valid for six months from the issue date. To renew a temporary placard, a newly-completed MV9-D form must be submitted. 

Permanent placards must be replaced every four years but a new MV9-D is not required. To renew a permanent placard, the person who was initially issued the placard must bring their current placard and their Georgia DL or Georgia ID card to any Gwinnett tag office (the Property Tax office at 75 Langley Drive does not issue placards or plates). If the DL or ID does not have a Gwinnett address, proof of residency is required.


Updated 1/10/2018