If you need to change a name on a title, the following documents are required:
Current Original Title
- Georgia title – must be issued in the name of the person requesting the change.
- If the Georgia title is currently in the name of the person requesting the change and the Georgia title has been lost, a replacement Georgia title can be applied for with the name change, as long as the current/valid vehicle registration is submitted.
- Out-of-state title – must be issued in the name of the person requesting the change.
- A title is required for all motor vehicles 1986 and newer.
Title Application (Form MV-1)
- All owners on the title must sign the title application.
- If any owner is not able to visit a Gwinnett County tag office, the form can be filled out online, printed and signed.
- The original title application must be submitted with all owners’ signatures.
A Certified Copy of the Legal Documentation
Due to Court Order
- A certified copy of the court order authorizing the name change.
Due to Divorce
- The certified copy of the divorce decree must list the name of the person being awarded the vehicle and must list the vehicle by year, make, model and vehicle identification number (VIN).
- If the divorce decree does not list the vehicle by year, make, model and VIN, an affidavit from the attorney representing the person being awarded the vehicle must accompany the divorce decree.
- The affidavit must be on the attorney’s letterhead stationery, signed by the attorney and include the year, make, model and VIN of the vehicle.
Due to Marriage
- A certified copy of the marriage certificate.
Lien/Security Interest Release
- Any liens or security interests shown on the current title must be released in order for the name change to be processed.
- The lien or security interest may be released on the front of the title in the Release of Lien area or a Lien Release form can be completed by the lien or security interest holder. The original form must be submitted.
- If any lien or security interest has not been satisfied, the vehicle owner needs to contact the lien or security interest holder to request the name change on the title.
Valid Georgia Driver’s License or Georgia Identification Card of the Current Titled Owner(s)
- All owners on the title must present a valid Georgia driver’s license or Georgia identification card.
- The Georgia DL or ID card must represent the name change.
- If any owner is not able to visit the tag office, a legible photocopy of the Georgia DL or Georgia ID card is required.
$18 fee is required for the name change on the title.
- If changing the name due to divorce, the name change must be completed within 30 days of the divorce decree being finalized by the court or a $10 title penalty is added to the total amount due.
If the first-titled owner is the person requesting the name change and has a Georgia license plate issued in the original name, they can keep the same license plate and receive a new registration showing the name change.
If a new Georgia license plate must be issued, a Georgia emissions test, Georgia insurance and a valid Georgia DL or Georgia ID card is required. Proof of residency is required if the Georgia DL or Georgia ID card does not have a current Gwinnett address. Ad valorem tax and tag registration fees will be required to be paid, if applicable.
Under normal circumstances, the information provided above is required to process a name change but other documentation may be required upon review of paperwork at the tag office.
If you are a Gwinnett resident and you would like to request a name change on a title, please visit a Gwinnett County tag office.
For more information on obtaining a Georgia DL or Georgia ID card, please visit the Georgia Department of Driver Services' website.