Titling a Vehicle Purchased from a Dealership or when establishing residency in Georgia:
An owner has 30 calendar days to title and register a vehicle when it is purchased from a dealership or the owner is establishing residency in Georgia. If you fail to register during the 30-day period, you will be subject to fines if stopped by law enforcement. Click here to see if a Georgia title is required for your vehicle.
Titling a Vehicle Purchased from an Individual or Business (other than a dealership):
An owner has seven business days to apply for a title and register a vehicle purchased from an individual or business (other than a dealer) in a casual/private sale. If you fail to register during the initial 7-day period, you will be subject to fines if stopped by law enforcement. Click here to see if a Georgia title is required for your vehicle.
When your vehicle requires a Georgia title and you are unable to apply for the title in your name, you will not be allowed to:
- Register your vehicle and obtain a Georgia license plate.
- Transfer an existing Georgia license plate to the vehicle.
If you have purchased your vehicle from an individual or business and there is a lien, you will not be able to title or register the vehicle within the seven business days allowed by law. You may be able to obtain a temporary operating permit. Click here
for more information.
NOTE: Under normal circumstances, the information provided below is required to process an application for a Georgia title. Other documentation may be required upon review of the paperwork.
Title Application (Form MV-1)
- All owners on the title must sign the MV-1 title application.
- If any owner is not able to visit a Gwinnett tag office, the form can be filled out online, printed and signed.
- The original title application must be submitted with all owners’ signatures.
- The owner may complete a Limited Power of Attorney form to authorize another person to sign on their behalf. Note: The original, notarized form must be submitted.
Types of Ownership Documents
- The vehicle’s original, valid title properly signed over to the new owners.
- The vehicle’s original out-of-state title already in the owners' names.
- If you have moved from another state and your lender or leasing company is holding your out-of-state title, you must complete and sign a Statement of Title Held by Lien Holder or Leasing Company and submit with your original valid registration certificate in lieu of your title.
- The manufacturer's certificate of origin properly signed over to the new owners.
Valid Georgia Driver’s License or Georgia State Issued Identification Card of the Current Titled Owner(s)
- All owners on the title must present a valid Georgia Driver’s License or Georgia Identification Card.
- If any owner is not able to visit a Gwinnett tag office, a legible photocopy of the Georgia driver’s license or Georgia-issued Identification Card is required.
- If you need information on how to obtain a Georgia driver’s license or Georgia Identification Card, click here.
Lien/Security Interest Release, if applicable
- If the vehicle title indicates a lien for the previous owner, the lien must be released on the title. If the lien has not been released on the title, you will need to submit a Lien Release form with an original signature (no photocopies or faxes) that has been completed by the lienholder.
You need to know the current mileage of the vehicle.
- A $18 fee is required if the title application is received within 30 days of the purchase date.
- An additional fee of $10 is required if the title application is not received within this initial 30-day period. This fee does not apply when your vehicle is currently titled in your name(s) in another state or country.
- Title tax may be due.
- If there are outstanding fees such as unpaid Georgia ad valorem taxes due, those fees will be collected prior to processing an application for a Georgia title.
- When applying by mail, send all required documents along with a check, cashier’s check or money order to:
- Gwinnett County Tax Commissioner
- PO Box 829
- Lawrenceville, GA 30046-0829