To process a registration for a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of 55,000 pounds or more, a current year IRS Form 2290 is required.
- An entirely legible and clear copy of the 2290 must be submitted. It must be stamped by the IRS as received and paid. The stamp must be legible. (OR)
- A printed copy of the electronic 2290 received by the owner if they filed electronically. Electronically-filed 2290 printouts have an e-file watermark including a received date diagonally printed across the form.
- A current year Form 2290 must be submitted.
- A 2290 marked or stamped as "Proof of Delivery" is NOT acceptable.
- The complete VIN must be listed on the 2290 or its attachment. Whiteout, strikeouts or a partial VIN are not acceptable. It must be entirely legible and clearly unaltered.
- The current/new owner's name on the 2290 and on the registration must be exactly the same unless the owner is a subsidiary of the parent company listed on the 2290. Copies of the documentation correlating the names must be included with the 2290. If a vehicle is leased to a company with a name that is different on the 2290 from the vehicle's registration, a copy of the lease agreement is required.
For more information on registering these vehicles, click here. To access IRS Form 2290, visit the IRS website.