If renewing by mail, renewal payments should be mailed four weeks prior to the renewal date to allow time for processing. To ensure timely processing and to avoid penalties, carefully read the renewal notice and the enclosed insert for instructions and additional information. All renewal requirements must be met before the renewal can be processed. If a renewal is submitted without all the required information, it will be returned.
Payment methods include personal checks or money orders. Credit cards are no longer accepted through the mail.
An emission inspection, if applicable, must be completed prior to mailing in your renewal to receive a current year decal.
Mail renewal payments to:
Gwinnett County Tax Commissioner
PO Box 829
Lawrenceville, GA 30046
- Make checks and money orders payable to "Gwinnett County Tax Commissioner."
- Gwinnett County tag offices cannot accept two-party checks.
- If paying by check, the pre-printed last name and Gwinnett County address on the check must match the last name and Gwinnett County address of the registered owner of the vehicle.
- Important Note: If you pay with a check, keep in mind that checks are processed, deposited and debited from your account very quickly, usually the next business day. Before you write a check, make sure your account has enough money to cover it.
- If your check is dishonored by the bank, a service fee will be assessed in accordance with state law and federal guidelines. In providing a check as payment, you authorize electronic representment if your check should return unpaid. Also, you authorize service charges and processing fees, as determined by law, to be debited from the same account via paper draft or electronic funds transfer.
- Starter or counter checks are accepted but must have the bank routing and account number pre-printed/encoded on the check.
Mailed-in renewal payments must be postmarked by the United States Postal Service on or before the renewal date or tax and tag penalties will apply. If the renewal is received without proper payment or required documents, the renewal will be returned and the due date cannot be extended. Tax and tag penalties will apply.
If you did not receive a renewal notice and would like to renew via mail, request a renewal notice.