You may be able to transfer your valid Georgia tag from a vehicle you no longer own to a newly-purchased or newly-acquired vehicle.
The following are required to transfer a tag:
- The title must be applied for on the new vehicle.
- The first owner listed on the title must be the same for both vehicles unless the tag being transferred is a specialty or prestige tag. If it is a specialty or prestige tag and the first registered owner is not the same, the tag must be relinquished. A relinquishment form must be completed and submitted at the time of transfer.
- Current Georgia certificate of registration for the tag being transferred.
- Valid Georgia Insurance.
- Current Georgia Emissions Control Certificate, if applicable.
- Valid Georgia Driver's License or Georgia Identification Card reflecting the current Gwinnett address. If it does not reflect the current Gwinnett address, one of the following documents with the current Gwinnett address issued in the name of the registered owner and dated within the last year must also be presented:
- Utility bill
- Lease/rental agreement
- Bank statement
- Closing papers
- Voter registration card (must show residential address)
- $5 tag transfer fee (if the tag is current)
- $20 tag fee (plus special tag fees, if applicable) when transferring your plate during your registration period
If you are unsure if your tag is current or if it requires renewal, click here.
- Ad valorem tax, if applicable
Please Note: Not all tags are transferable. To transfer a tag, both vehicles must require the same tag classification. For example, you cannot transfer a tag from your trailer to your car because a trailer tag is $12 and a car tag is $20. If you are unsure whether or not your tag can be transferred to your new vehicle, contact us.
Any paperwork, license plates or renewal decals processed by the Gwinnett County tag office can only be returned to the registered owner of the vehicle or a family member with valid government-issued identification showing the same last name and/or same address as the registered owner.