For motor vehicle transactions
If you visit any one of the five Gwinnett County tag offices to process motor vehicle-related paperwork including title or registration transactions, cash, personal checks, money orders, Discover, MasterCard and VISA are all accepted (American Express not accepted in person).
- Make checks and money orders payable to "Gwinnett County Tax Commissioner."
- Gwinnett tag offices do not accept two-party checks.
- If paying by check, the pre-printed last name and address on the check must match the last name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle.
- If the registered owner of a vehicle presents a check for payment, and the check does not include a pre-printed name and address, the registered owner of the vehicle must present a valid Georgia driver's license or ID card with the current Gwinnett County address.
- Keep in mind that checks are processed, deposited and debited from your account very quickly, usually the next business day. Before you write a check, make sure your account has enough money to cover it.
- If your check is dishonored by the bank, a service fee is assessed in accordance with state law and federal guidelines. In providing a check as payment, you authorize electronic representation if your check should return unpaid. Also, you authorize service charges and processing fees, as determined by law, to be debited from the same account via paper draft or electronic funds transfer.
- Starter or counter checks are accepted but must have the bank routing and account numbers pre-printed/encoded on the check.
- If paying by credit card, the last name on the credit card must match the last name of the registered owner of the vehicle. If the credit card presented is not the registered owner's credit card, the cardholder must be present with a valid Georgia's driver's license or ID card.
- If paying by debit card, the cardholder must be present with a valid Georgia driver's license or ID card.
For property tax transactions
If you visit any one of the five Gwinnett County tag offices to pay your property tax, cash, credit/debit cards, personal checks and money orders are all accepted.
- Credit card payment can be made using VISA, MasterCard or Discover. A convenience fee of 2.25% (minimum $1) is applied to all credit card charges.
- VISA, MasterCard and Discover debit cards are accepted over the counter for a flat fee of $3.95.
- Make checks and money orders payable to "Gwinnett County Tax Commissioner" (no additional fee).
- Gwinnett County tag offices cannot accept two-party checks.
Starter or counter checks are accepted but must have the bank routing and account numbers pre-printed/encoded on the check.