To apply for a replacement title in Gwinnett County, the vehicle must have a current title on record in your name in Georgia, and you must reside in Gwinnett. If you have moved out of state, and the last title issued for your vehicle was in Georgia, you may apply for a replacement title in Gwinnett as long as your last Georgia address was a Gwinnett address.
If your vehicle is currently titled in another state, you must contact that state to obtain a replacement title.
Once a replacement title has been issued, any previous title is null and void.
- All owners on the title must sign the title application.
- If any owner is not able to visit a Gwinnett County tag office, the form can be filled out online, printed and signed.
- The original title application must be submitted with all owners' signatures.
- The owner may complete a Limited Power of Attorney form to authorize another person to sign on their behalf.
The original, notarized Limited Power of Attorney must be submitted.
Lien/Security Interest Release
- If your vehicle previously had a lien that has been released, you will need to bring a Lien Release form with an original signature (no photocopies or faxes) that has been completed by your lienholder.
- If any lien or security interest has not been satisfied, an application for replacement title may still be processed, but the title will be sent to the lien or security interest holder.
The current mileage of the vehicle is needed, or the mileage shown on the previous Georgia title will be carried over to the replacement.
Valid Georgia Driver's License (DL) or Georgia Identification (ID) Card of the Current Titled Owner(s)
Valid Out-of-State DL or Out-of-State Issued ID Card
- All owners on the title must present a valid Georgia DL or ID.
- If any owner is not able to visit a Gwinnett County tag office, a legible photocopy is required.
- If you need information on how to obtain a Georgia DL or ID Card, click here.
- If you have moved out of state and have changed your DL or ID, you must submit a legible photocopy of the out-of-state DL or ID with your application.
- A fee of $8 is required if the title application is processed at a Gwinnett County tag office.
- If there are outstanding fees such as unpaid ad valorem taxes or insurance lapse/suspension fees, those fees will be collected prior to processing an application for a replacement title.
- When applying by mail, send all required documents along with a check, cashier's check or money order to:
Gwinnett County Tax Commissioner
PO Box 829
Lawrenceville, GA 30046-0829
- Titles are mailed from the Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) and generally received within 7-10 business days.
- If you need the title the same day, you can visit the DOR office in Atlanta. Everything on the vehicle record must be current in this case.
Under normal circumstances, the information provided above is required to process an application for a replacement title. Other documentation may be required upon review of the paperwork.