If the vehicle has a Georgia title and the inheritor is not a Georgia resident, the inheritor must apply for a title in their state of residency.
Each state’s inheritance laws differ. Some states require an executor to be assigned to the estate when there is a no will. If there is not a will, and the executor of the estate is not a Georgia resident, Georgia does not require the executor to title the vehicle in their name in their state of residency prior to the Georgia resident inheriting the vehicle.
If you are a Gwinnett resident and need to apply for a Georgia title on a vehicle that you are inheriting and there is no will, the following documents are required:
- Current Original Title
- Georgia title – The title being submitted must be issued in the name of the deceased owner(s).
- If the Georgia title is currently in the name of the deceased owner(s) and is not available, a Georgia title can be applied for in the inheritor’s name, as long as the current/valid vehicle registration is submitted.
- Out-of-state title – The out-of-state title issued in the name of deceased owner(s) must be submitted.
- If the vehicle is titled in another state in the deceased owner’s name and the title is not available, the inheritor(s) must apply for a title following the inheritance procedures of the state where the last title was issued.
- A title is required for all motor vehicles 1986 and newer.
- Title Application
- All inheritors of the vehicle must sign the title application.
- If any inheritor is not able to visit the tag office, the form can be filled out online, printed and signed.
- The original application must be submitted.
- A Certified Copy of the Death Certificate
- Affidavit of Inheritance
- The form must be completed in the inheritor’s name(s).
- The inheritor(s) must sign it and the form must be notarized.
- If all inheritors are present at the tag office with a valid Georgia DL or Georgia ID, the form can be signed by the inheritors and notarized there.
- The original form must be submitted.
- Lien/Security Interest Release
- Any liens or security interests shown on the current title must be released for the name change to be processed.
- The lien or security interest may be released on the front of the title in the Release of Lien area or a Lien Release form can be completed by the lien or security interest holder. The original form must be submitted.
- If any lien or security interest has not been satisfied, the inheritor(s) will need to contact the lien or security interest holder in order to request the name change on the title.
- Valid Georgia DL or Georgia IDof the Current Titled Owner(s)
- All inheritors must present a valid Georgia DL or Georgia ID.
- If any inheritor is not able to visit the tag office, a legible photocopy is required.